June 3, 2012

In My Mailbox

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted at The Story Siren.
In My Mailbox

Anyone can participate. IMM is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week.

Bought:


The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory

When she marries the Duke of Bedford, English Regent of France, Jacquetta is introduced to a mysterious world of learning and alchemy. Her only friend in the great household is the squire Richard Woodville, who is at her side when her husband dies. The two become lovers and marry in secret, returning to England to serve at the court of the young King Henry VI, where Jacquetta becomes a close and loyal friend to his new queen.

The Woodvilles achieve a place at the very heart of the Lancaster court, though Jacquetta can sense the threat from the people of England and the danger of royal rivals. Henry the king slides into a mysterious sleep; Margaret the queen turns to untrustworthy favorites for help; and Richard, Duke of York, threatens to overturn the whole kingdom for his rival dynasty of the House of York. Jacquetta fights for them all, including her daughter Elizabeth Woodville, for whom Jacquetta senses an extraordinary and unexpected future: a change of fortune, the throne of England, and the white rose of York.

The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles #1) by Rick Riordan

Since their mother’s death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane.

One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a “research experiment” at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.

Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them--Set–has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe -- a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.

The Throne of Fire (The Kane Chronicles #2) by Rick Riordan

EVER since the gods of Ancient Egypt were unleashed on the modern world, Carter Kane and his sister, Sadie, have been in big trouble.As descendants of the magical House of Life, they command certain powers. But now a terrifying enemy - Apophis, the giant snake of chaos - is rising. If Carter and Sadie don't destroy him, the world will end in five days' time. And in order to battle the forces of chaos, they must revive the sun god Ra - a feat no magician has ever achieved. Because first they must search the world for the three sections of the Book of Ra, then they have to learn how to chant its spells . . .Can the Kanes destroy Apophis before he swallows the sun and plunges the earth into darkness . . . forever?


A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix

A major standalone space opera, this is Garth Nix's first novel for older readers since the conclusion of the Old Kingdom trilogy...and it's worth the wait. A grand adventure that spans galaxies and lifetimes, A Confusion of Princes is also a page-turning action adventure. These are the three deaths of Prince Khemri. Told in his own words, we follow him as he trains to become a Prince of the Empire, an enhanced human being, equipped with biological and technological improvements that make him faster, stronger and smarter than any ordinary person. Not to mention the ultimate benefit: should he die, and be deemed worthy, he will be reborn...Which is just as well, because no sooner has Prince Khemri graduated to full Princehood than he learns the terrible truth behind the Empire: there are a million princes, and all of them want each other dead, because there can only be one Emperor...

[ What I spent on the books : RM 98.95 ]

6 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy the Kane Chronicle books! I've read all except the most recent one. I have a copy waiting for me, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. In my opinion it's not quite as good as the Percy Jackson series but I still love it!

    Here's my IMM
    If you're interested you can also enter to win a signed copy of City of Lost Souls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm ... I hope I won't be disappointed, I bought it because I loved the Percy Jackson series and am expecting at least that standard :-)

      Delete
  2. Some great books you got there! Hope you'll enjoy them ;)

    Happy Reading
    Filia @ Anima Libri - Booksoul

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope so too seeing as I've been waiting a long time to get my hands on these books. :-)

      Delete
  3. Speaking of Philippa Gregory, I really want to read her new YA book Changeling. It sound freaking amazing and I've heard awesome things about her other historical books. And I DEF. have to finish Rick Riordan's PJ series ASAP. I mean, what the what am I waiting for, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm ... yes, I've also recently read the premise for Changeling. I'd like to read it too :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...