February 12, 2011

Review : The Girl who Kicked the Hornets' Nest by Stieg Larsson

Title : The Girl who Kicked the Hornets' Nest
Author : Stieg Larsson
Reading Dates : 15 Jan - 18 Jan 2011
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Paperback)
Millennium
The books in the series :
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • The Girl who Played with Fire
  • The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
From goodreads :
Lisbeth Salander--the heart of Larsson's two previous novels--is under close supervision in the intensive care unit of a Swedish city hospital. She's fighting for her life in more ways than one: when she's well enough, she'll stand trial for three murders. With the help of her friend, journalist Mikael Blomkvist, she will have to prove her innocence, and to identify the corrupt politicians who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse. And, on her own, she will plot her revenge--against the man who tried to kill her and the government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life.

Once upon a time, she was a victim. Now Lisbeth Salander is ready to fight back.


Book Review of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest.

Like the earlier books, the final installment of the Millenium trilogy starts off rather slowly and bored me with too many details which never seems to have any bearing on the story. However, once the story proper starts, I become too engrossed to care about minor irritants.

What’s different about this last book is that it seems to be more a game of counter espionage mixed with a little courtroom drama. The tension and suspense as the cat and mouse game is being played out makes the book virtually unputdownable. But my favourite part is probably the little courtroom drama that I mentioned. There was something really satisfying in reading how one of Salander’s persecutors is finally taken apart.

The other parts I enjoyed was the introduction of the exclusive hacker community which Salander belongs too. The possibilities for a story there seemed endless and it was kind of sad to realize that there never would be more.

What was disturbing though was realizing that there were still people who might have repeated the same travesty visited on Salander before. And these people were supposedly on her side. Once again there were those who seemed to believe that there might be more important things than one person’s innocence and were it not for those few who were firmly in her corner, a repeat of the past might have been inevitable.

The ending though was less satisfying than I like. For a book which is fulled of details, the ending seemed lacking in particulars. It would have been nice to know a bit more of what happened afterwards with regards to both the antagonists and protagonists of the trilogy.

Still, I wouldn’t have miss this one for the world.

My conclusions :
  • Would I re-read the book ? Yes.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series if there were one? Definitely.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Yes.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Lovers of intrigue and suspense.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Buy it.

Read another review on the book by :

5 comments:

  1. Nice review - a few of my friends are reading the series now, and they like it, too!

    I gave you an award - if you have time to play, you can grab it here:

    Manga Maniac Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review! I am going to read the last 2 in the series this summer! For some reason warm weather draws me to thrillers LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Manga Maniac
    Thanks for the thought but I've been thinking of making this an award free blog for some time now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Felicia
    Great! I hope you'll enjoy them as much or more than I did. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review! I've been recommending the series to folks who haven't been reading in a while. Its a great 'return-to-reading' book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...