August 26, 2010

Review : Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon


Title : Acheron
Author : Sherrilyn Kenyon
Reading Dates : 15 Aug - 17 Aug 2010
Acheron (Dark-Hunter, Book 12)
The Dark-Hunter series.
Acheron is from the Dark-Hunter series. Check out the link below for a listing of the books in the series according to reading order.
From goodreads :
The most anticipated story in the blockbuster Dark-Hunter series. The never-before-revealed story of the Dark-Hunter leader, Acheron. He was made human in order to escape death, but in death he was reborn a god. . .

Eleven thousand years ago a god was born. Cursed into the body of a human, Acheron spent a lifetime of shame. However, his human death unleashed an unspeakable horror that almost destroyed the earth. Then, brought back against his will, Acheron became the sole defender of mankind.

Only it was never that simple. For centuries, he has fought for our survival and hidden a past he’ll do anything to keep concealed. Until a lone woman who refuses to be intimidated by him threatens his very existence.

Now his survival, and ours, hinges on hers and old enemies reawaken and unite to kill them both.

War has never been more deadly... or more fun.


Book Review of Acheron.
Acheron's story remains a favourite of mine within the Dark-Hunter series mainly because of its main protagonist.

The mysterious and long-suffering leader of the Dark-Hunters has been a long time favourite character since his first appearance in the series. How did someone so apparently powerful and wise end up as a slave to a goddess much weaker than him ? Why would he sacrifice so much for the largely ungrateful Dark-Hunters or even tolerate Artemis' frequently cruel outbursts ? These are just a few of the questions surrounding him that got me following the Dark-Hunter series.

While the earlier books have dropped frequent hints of his past, this book answers all these questions definitively. It also gives insight into his motivations and make it easier to understand how he can at times be so forgiving while reacting rather harshly at others. As an added advantage, the story is also written in such a way so that those new to the series can read this one on its own.

Aside from Acheron himself, what I like about the book is his interactions with some of the other characters. In most of the earlier books, Acheron is usually considered ancient by those in the know. To have Savitar treat him like a youngster despite his age is often amusing and refreshing. Then, there is also his relationship with Simi. I love the way she keeps offering to help him by eating the 'heifer-goddess' and her literal adherence to his orders which frequently gets him into trouble. Most important of all is the self-belief Tory gives to Acheron. It is about time that he realizes he is more than worthy of being loved.

Another plus is Artemis's comeuppance. I love that the one to give it to her was Tory and also the way this was accomplished. Acheron deserves no less.

Last but not least is Savitar's attitude when it comes to Acheron. His altruism is in opposition to his oft spouted beliefs. This naturally leads me to speculate on his identity. I will be looking forward to having this mystery resolved and having my guesses either confirmed or refuted.

Overall, my only complaint is in the quickness which Acheron and Tory's relationship starts. It would have been more realistic if they had more time to get to know each other considering Acheron's history. Still this is one on my keeper list.

My conclusion : A book I'd recommend to paranormal romance readers.

My favourite books from Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter and Dream-Hunter series so far :

Want to ...

5 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic! I never once before read Sherrilyn Kenyon's, maybe I'll try this series. =)

    Hey, got an award for your blog. Grab it at Coffee N Crackers kay..=)
    http://coffeecrackers.blogspot.com/2010/08/blog-award-one-lovely-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think too much time was spent on Artemis/Archeron's past and not enough time on Tory and Archeron. However, my favorite line in the book comes from Simi: (paraphrase been awhile since I have read it) You told me to watch her, you never told me to quit :) Love Simi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I just began following your blog and wanted to say that I love what you have written over the last few months - I kept coming and visiting your site via different links. I just realized now that it would be a lot easier to just Follow :)
    Do visit me @ www.readseverything.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again!
    I really enjoyed reading your blog, and thought you really deserved this "Lovely Blog" blogger award - Blog Awards

    hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book KILLS me. I don't think a book has ever affected me the way Ash's story did!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...