December 10, 2010

Review : Dining with Joy by Rachel Hauck

Title : Dining with Joy
Author : Rachel Hauck
Reading Dates : 1 Dec - 5 Dec 2010
Dining with Joy (A Lowcountry Romance)
Lowcountry Romance
The books in the series :
  • Love Starts with Elle
  • Sweet Caroline
  • Dining with Joy
From Book Sneeze :
Joy Ballard has a secret: she's a cooking show host who can't really cook.

When her South Carolina-based cooking show, Dining With Joy, is picked up by a major network, Joy Ballard's world heats up like a lowcountry boil.

Joy needs help. Then she meets chef Luke Davis who moved to Beaufort after losing his Manhattan restaurant. A cook at the Frogmore Cafe, he’s paying debts and longing to regain his reputation in the elite foodie world.

Luke and Joy mix like oil and water…until Joy is exposed on national television. With her career and his reputation both under fire, they’ll have to work together to fix the mess. Is it possible that they can learn to feast on God’s love and dine with joy?


Book Review of Dining with Joy.
I enjoyed Dining with Joy very much.

Joy and Luke’s story was a warm and funny read. They both have contrasting sides to their personalities, an interesting mix of strength, kindness and vulnerability which makes them very real and likable. All of which made me want to root for them while at the same time wanting to roll my eyes at some of the rather unnecessary angst they put themselves through.

The pacing as well as twists and turns of the story was also a rather enjoyable ride. It had me holding my breath waiting for the moment when Joy would be outed and guessing how she would overcome her difficulties. Couple that with the sexual tension between Joy and Luke, and Dining with Joy makes for highly entertaining and light read.

However, I found it rather unbelievable that none of Joy’s long-time colleagues showed a bit of concern for her after the disaster whereas everyone in her hometown seemed to take everything in stride. The ending was a little simple as well.

Still, a more than acceptable read.

My conclusions :
  • Would I re-read the book ? Yes
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series if there was one? Maybe
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? No
  • Who would I recommend this too? Romance fans after a light-read

1 comment:

  1. Great Review!

    It does sound like it would be a fun light read that would fit the bill after something particularly dark!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...