December 8, 2010

Review : Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward

Title : Lover Awakened
Author : J. R. Ward
Reading Dates : 7 Nov - 11 Nov 2010
Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 3)
Black Dagger Brotherhood Series.
The Books in the series :
  • Dark Lover
  • Lover Eternal
  • Lover Awakened
  • Lover Revealed
  • Lover Unbound
  • Lover Enshrined
  • Lover Avenged
  • Lover Mine
From goodreads :
In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there’s a deadly war raging between vampires and their slayers. And there exists a secret band of brothers like no other - six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Of these, Zsadist is the most terrifying member of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

A former blood slave, the vampire Zsadist still bears the scars from a past filled with suffering and humiliation. Renowned for his unquenchable fury and sinister deeds, he is a savage feared by humans and vampires alike. Anger is his only companion, and terror is his only passion—until he rescues a beautiful aristocrat from the evil Lessening Society.

Bella is instantly entranced by the seething power Zsadist possesses. But even as their desire for one another begins to overtake them both, Zsadist’s thirst for vengeance against Bella’s tormentors drives him to the brink of madness. Now, Bella must help her lover overcome the wounds of his tortured past, and find a future with her…


Book Review of Lover Awakened.
Zsadist's story is still my favourite when it comes to the Black Dagger Brotherhood series.

What I love most about Zsadist and Bella's story is how they fall in love. Unlike with the earlier books in the series, here I really can see a progression from mutual attraction to love. Most important of all is the role they each play in healing the other of their wounds. And of course I really like that Bella isn't just an ornament and can be surprisingly honest about her feelings considering her upbringing and background. There is this scene that always leaves me laughing when Bella tells Zsadist the real reason for her tears.

The other main reason I liked this one was of course the continuation of John Matthew's story. It was nice to see how quickly he has become a part of the brotherhood's family even if right now it is more because of his adoptive parents than for himself.

The only part of the book that I didn't enjoy was those told from the enemy's point of view and involving only themselves. I often skip these during re-reads and have found that it doesn't even affect my understanding of the story.

My conclusion : A keeper. Lover Awakened is one of my favourite re-reads.

3 comments:

  1. Great Review! I have also enjoyed reading this one as well!! Glad to hear you enjoyed it! And I agree about the parts of the story from the enemies point of view!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know the thing I love most about this series is the characters just don't drop off---you see their relationships and how they impact the focus couples relationship. You also get to follow the peeps you know are coming up.

    Did you read the novella about Z and B's daughter yet?

    I agree I skip most of the story from the enemy's POV!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Felicia
    Nope. I didn't even though there was one until I saw your review ... but I'm keeping my eye out for it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...