November 30, 2011

Review : Artemis Fowl and The Time Paradox

Title : Artemis Fowl and The Time Paradox
Author : Eoin Colfer
Reading Dates : 18 Oct - 22 Oct 2011
Artemis Fowl
From goodreads :
Grade 4–8—Fourteen-year-old genius and mastermind Artemis Fowl realizes that he has a problem. His mother is nearing death and the only thing that can save her is the brain fluid from a species of lemur that he forced into extinction eight years earlier. He decides that he must travel back in time to right this terrible wrong but his younger self is present in the past and proceeds to challenge the older Artemis's every move. At the older Artemis's side is elf Captain Holly Short of the Lower Elements Police Reconnaissance (LEPrecon) and Mulch Diggums, a dwarf known for his potent flatulence and ground-munching abilities. The trio struggle to circumvent destiny but find the past fraught with deception. The story flows with quick-witted humor and action-packed scenes, and Colfer's love of science shines through in the story's inventions and clever use of engineering. The dueling technology and a game match between clashing masterminds make for an exciting, modern-day fairy tale. There is no integration of previous story lines; while this does not take away from the resolution, it does leave readers questioning some backstory. The author once again offers an exhilarating ride through the fantastical world of Artemis Fowl.—Robyn Gioia, Bolles School, Ponte Vedra, FL


Book Review of Artemis Fowl and The Time Paradox.

Despite all the good vibes I had for the early Artemis Fowl books, I still approached The Time Paradox with a little bit of trepidation. After all, this was the Artemis Fowl book that I disliked and for a certain time discouraged me from picking up the next book in the series.

So, did I change my mind with this re-read ? Maybe, but just a little. The Time Paradoxstill ranks as the Artemis Fowl book I like the least. The reason is a simple one. In the first half, Artemis simply isn’t up to his usual standards. All of which may be intentional but annoying none the less. Artemis doesn’t seem so much to be using his strategic skills as simply blundering from one escapade to another.

Fortunately, Artemis does buck up at the end with a short display of his usual flair. In this case though, it comes a bit too late to make me like this one.

However the first few books makes me want to write this one off as a blip. And so, despite some misgivings, I still picked up Artemis Fowl and The Atlantis Complex.

My conclusions :

  • Would I re-read the book ? Probably, but only as a part of the series.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Yes.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Yes, just to complete my collection though.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Fantasy readers.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? In some part, this depends on the next book. I'll reserve judgement until then.

Books alluded to :


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...