November 16, 2011

Review : Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Title : Artemis Fowl
Author : Eoin Colfer
Reading Dates : 6 Oct - 8 Oct 2011
Artemis Fowl
From Amazon :
Eoin Colfer describes his new book, Artemis Fowl, as "Die Hard with fairies." He's not far wrong.

Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is the most ingenious criminal mastermind in history. With two trusty sidekicks in tow, he hatches a cunning plot to divest the fairyfolk of their pot of gold. Of course, he isn't foolish enough to believe in all that "gold at the end of the rainbow" nonsense. Rather, he knows that the only way to separate the little people from their stash is to kidnap one of them and wait for the ransom to arrive. But when the time comes to put his plan into action, he doesn't count on the appearance of the extrasmall, pointy-eared Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconnaisance) Unit--and her senior officer, Commander Root, a man (sorry, elf) who will stop at nothing to get her back.

Fantastic stuff from beginning to end, Artemis Fowl is a rip-roaring, 21st-century romp of the highest order. The author has let his imagination run riot by combining folklore, fantasy, and a fistful of high-tech funk in an outrageously devilish book that could well do for fairies what Harry Potter has done for wizardry. But be warned: this is no gentle frolic, so don't be fooled by the fairy subject matter. Instead, what we have here is well-written, sophisticated, rough 'n' tumble storytelling with enough high-octane attitude to make it a seriously cool read for anyone over the age of 10. --Susan Harrison


Book Review of Artemis Fowl.

Artemis Fowl is another book I’ve enjoyed since I first picked it up. This re-read was just as fun as ever.

What I’ve always liked about the series is the titular character himself. I’ve found Artemis to be at his most charming self when he’s plotting his nefarious schemes. It is simply fun to watch the precocious Artemis confound all the adults around him. Especially since the adults aren’t idiots either. Even knowing the storyline as I do, I still had plenty of laughs as Artemis plots his way towards his pot of gold.

Then, there’s Artemis’s relationship with Butler. Together, they make a formidable team. Artemis might be a genius but without someone as capable and loyal as Butler to execute his orders, none of his plans would have come to fruition.

And things get better from here onwards. The only worry I have is of Artemis Fowl turning good. *Laughs*

My conclusions :

  • Would I re-read the book ? Definitely. I've already re-read the book twice.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Already planned to.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Yes.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Fantasy readers. If you like Harry Potter or Percy Jackson, you might try this out too.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...