Book Review of The Alchemyst.I didn’t dislike The Alchemyst but I didn’t love it either.
What I enjoyed in The Alchemyst was the way the author mixes up so many different mythologies and historical facts into his world. This is a favourite theme of mine and it is always interesting to read an alternate retelling of the past which could be believable. Unfortunately aside from this, there wasn’t much to recommend The Alchemyst to me.
The pacing isn’t what I’d describe as fast. It should be, since so many things happen in the space of 2 days. And yet, it doesn’t feel action packed. Instead, it felt more like there were more than 24 hours in a day in Michael Scott’s world.
The storyline and characters too was rather predictable. There were hardly any unexpected twists or interesting characters in the tale.
In the end, The Alchemyst was an okay read but nothing to shout about. I do hope that the next books in the series are better.
My conclusions :
- Would I re-read the book ? Not really.
- Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Only because I already have the next 2 books in hand.
- Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? No.
- Who would I recommend this too? Fantasy readers or anyone who likes mythologies.
- For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Borrow it.