December 26, 2011

Review : Forbidden by Jo Beverley

Title : Forbidden
Author : Jo Beverley
Reading Dates : 4 Dec - 9 Dec 2011
The Company of Rogues
  • An Arranged Marriage
  • An Unwilling Bride
  • Christmas Angel
  • Forbidden
  • Dangerous Joy
  • The Dragon's Bride
  • Skylark
  • The Rogue's Return
  • To Rescue a Rogue
From Amazon :
Finally freed from a cruel, depraved husband, Serena Riverton wants nothing more to do with men or marriage. Fate and her brothers give her no choice except to flee - into a storm, and into the arms of a stranger. Without friend or fortune, Serena seduces the handsome lord. But just one night together will start a sequence of events that threatens to destroy them both. Francis, Lord Middlethorpe's life is planned and orderly, including marriage to Lady Anne Peckworth, a rich and suitable lady. But now he is haunted by memories of one passionate night with Serena, the wicked siren who tempted him with pleasures he had never known. Caught between duty and desire, he must choose between his reputation and a love like no other.


Book Review of Forbidden.

I’ve always enjoyed Forbidden for 2 reasons. The first is because I enjoy the idea of The Company of Rogues and the other is the hero, Francis Haile.

The Company of Rogues has always seemed such a wonderful group to me. A group of men and women comprising of both commoners and nobles, formed initially in childhood for the sole purpose of protection and evolving into a family one can depend on always. This group of assorted men and women with their different skills always seem to have the right mix to attend to the complex problems they encounter and I just enjoy watching them put their personal strengths to use.

The other reason I enjoy Forbidden is the main character, Francis Haile. Francis is a breath of fresh air because I’ve rarely had historical romances portray a hero as being gentle without seeming weak.

The only complain I have against Forbidden is the writing. There are times when the exchanges seem a bit abrupt. And while this doesn’t lessen my appreciation for the story, it does usually gives me pause as I need to reorder my thinking.

Despite that minor complain though, this is another old favourite

My conclusions :

  • Would I re-read the book ? Yes, this is one of my favorite historical romances.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Yes, but I Forbidden remains my favorite within the series.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Yes.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Romance readers.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...