February 3, 2012

Review : The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan






Title : The Eye of the World
Author : Robert Jordan
Reading Dates : 1 Jan 2012 - 10 Jan 2012
Total Pages :782
The Wheel of Time

From Amazon :
The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.


Book Review of The Eye of the World.

It has been a long time since I last read a Wheel of Time book, but this re-read of the first book soon reminded me why I’m addicted to the series despite some of my grievances.

Each book starts off slowly with me wishing that Robert Jordan would get on with the story and spare me some of the details in the telling. However before I know it, I find myself immersed in the world of the Wheel of Time and not wanting to stop reading. Hooked by the numerous twists and turns of the story as well as being amazed that I’m able to keep up despite the large number of characters.

And this re-read is even better since with the benefit of “foresight”, I’m able to understand the significance of those “pesky” little details more. First off, there’s the realization that Jordan actually left plenty of clues sprinkled throughout The Eye of the World to indicate who the Dark One is really after. Of course I completely missed it the first time I read the book but now it seems pretty obvious to me. Then, there’s the groundwork he lays for the subsequent books. None of which I would have realized prior to reading those books. Sometimes it almost felt as if I was reading the story the first time round.

I’m definitely looking forward to see what I missed in the next books of the series.

My conclusions :

  • Would I re-read the book ? Definitely.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Yes.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Yes.
  • Who would I recommend this too? All fantasy readers.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Buy it. The series is a keeper.

4 comments:

  1. WOOT! :) The book that started it all---it has been forever since I have read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, but the re-read was definitely better than the first time I read the book. I can't believe I missed so many things.

      Delete
  2. I've had a lot of people try and get me to read thees books, but I fear that if I get started, it'll take me forever to get through them all. They sound like they're worth it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understand that feeling. Now, that I'm finishing the WOT series, I've started considering what's the next such series I'd like to read. What WOT has taught me though is that I can't afford more than 1 series at a time in terms of investment, both time & money :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...