January 22, 2011

Review : Dragonmaster by Chris Bunch

Title : Dragon Master
Author : Chris Bunch
Reading Dates : 20 Dec 2010 - 1 Jan 2011
Dragonmaster: Dragonmaster Trilogy, Book One (Dragon Master Trilogy 2)
The Dragonmaster Trilogy
The books in the series are :
  • Storm of Wings
  • Knighthood of the Dragon
  • The Last Battle
From goodreads :
Young Hal Kailas is a runaway and a pauper, living hand-to-mouth in a kingdom where peace is by no means certain. But Hal has a dream. In his even younger days, he had the awesome experience of bonding with a young dragon-and the memory of the beast's great strength and power consumes his every thought. When war finally comes, the most daring and ruthless of men ride these fearsome dragons-monstrous weapons of war that are rulers of the sky. Few men are strong enough to bend a dragon's will, but Hal has reason to think he may be one of them.


Book Review of Dragonmaster.
Despite its title, Dragonmaster is actually a story about war rather than dragons. But unlike most books, the wars here aren’t pretty or romantic and the main character is far from heroic. In fact, I thought him quite cruel and callous at times. But even then I could sympathize because by then nothing else seemed to matter as much as surviving the war. And this is why the second book is my favourite of the trilogy as the senselessness and hypocrisy of it all coupled with the adulation that Hal gains is a rather interesting mix.

On the other hand I disliked the final book, The Last Battle, for a similar reason. The book made a rather good start by showing the aftermath of a war for both sides especially the soldiers. But then the story veered off and started focusing on the dragons and making out Hal to be some sort of saviour. I thought the story might have done better by focusing on what happens after the war, rather than trying to divert the reader by starting something else.

Overall though, the trilogy makes a fairly interesting read and gives a kind of insight into the reasons why someone would fight a war and do the things they do in it.

My conclusions :
  • Would I re-read the book ? Maybe, but probably after a long time.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? No.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? No.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Fantasy readers who like war novels.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Borrow this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...