January 2, 2011

Review : The Legend MacKinnon

Title : The Legend MacKinnon
Author : Donna Kauffman
Reading Dates : 4 Dec - 6 Dec 2010
The Legend Mackinnon
From Amazon :
Three centuries ago in Scotland a curse was born of the long-standing feud between the Claren and the MacKinnon clans. Now, generations later, destiny has decreed that three women, the last of the Claren line, be granted one final chance to set things right.

Maggie, Cailean, and Delaney Claren are three cousins who grow up unaware of one another--until an inheritance brings them together. Now mysterious journals and the deed to an ancient Scottish castle will bring them face-to-face with the warriors at the heart of the MacKinnon family, three brothers sentenced to cruel fates by a terrible curse.

Duncan is trapped in the form of a ghost, Rory must live an immortal life alone, and Alexander has been wrenched by time from the past to the present, with no way back. Ferociously compelling, dangerously relentless, they are bound by no mortal laws--except desire for the three Claren women. The journals speak of one key that can break the powerful spell. And finding that key will plunge them all into a world of unforeseeable danger and tantalizing desire....


Book Review of The Legend MacKinnon.
The first time I read the book I loved it. Unfortunately, The Legend MacKinnon didn’t survive my re-read. I could barely keep myself reading on and skipped chunks of the story just to finish it.

The first time I picked up the book was some years ago and I actually liked the 3 couples in the story then. But this time round, apart from Alexander and Delaney, the others seem like boring stereotypes. That’s not to say that Alexander and Delaney isn’t a cliche as well. Only that their characters were still interesting despite the fact and fun to read because of the way they went at each other. It was just too bad there weren’t more time spent on building up this particular pair’s relationship rather than giving all 3 equal time.

The other reason this book failed to keep my interest this time round was the lack of suspense. Wondering how they’d resolve their curses was a big part of the reason why the tale remained interesting in the past. Without even that mystery to solve, there simply isn’t enough tension or point to this tale.

My conclusions :
  • Would I re-read the book ? Not likely.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series if there were one? Definitely, not.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? No.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Romance fans looking for a little paranormal element. The emphasis here is on the romance rather than the paranormal elements.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Borrowing is the better choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...