January 8, 2011

Review : A Dry Spell by Susie Moloney

Title : A Dry Spell
Author : Susie Moloney
Reading Dates : 7 Dec - 11 Dec 2010
A Dry Spell
From goodreads :
Tom Keatley has pulled rain from the sky in town after arid town. A loner, a drifter, Tom is a rainmaker, the stuff of myth. But to Karen Grange, Goodlands, beleaguered mortgage lender, Tom is her only hope to save the dying town. For Tom, inextricably drawn to Goodlands, and to Karen, the storm is just beginning. Because beneath the hard, cracked earth is a shattering secret that only he can uncover. Together, they harness nature's greatest force--love--to find the redemption that will save them all.


Book Review of A Dry Spell.
I still love it despite having re-read it numerous times.

The story starts out slowly, building interest and momentum as it goes along. First drawing me in with what’s happening in the town of Goodlands, both the mystery behind the drought and the desperation of the town’s inhabitants. Giving me a stake in what’s happening.

Then, there’s the main characters. Both of whom are definitely not perfect. And it is precisely because of these flaws in their characters that I enjoy reading about them.

Tom was actually a pretty fun character to read about. A bit mean and not above using his powers to gain what he wants, without crossing some indefinable line which would have made him cruel. His powers also leave me guessing. Those little tidbits where Tom remembers some of his stranger encounters or how he ends up in certain places, has the feel of some guiding hand behind it all. Which of course adds to the mystery.

Finally, there’s the ending. Not an unhappy one but not exactly happy ever after. Yet, full of possibilities. Every time I re-read A Dry Spell, I come to a different conclusion regarding both the drought and Tom. This is why the story remains fresh for me and is one I enjoy re-reading time and again.

My conclusions :
  • Would I re-read the book ? Yes
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series if there were one? Yes.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Yes.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Paranormal or fantasy fans.

Books alluded to :
Gone with the WindWuthering HeightsThrough the Looking-Glass - Original Version
Hamlet (The New Folger Library Shakespeare)Paradise Lost (Modern Library Classics)

6 comments:

  1. hi just hopping by-hope all is well with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I'm already a follower of your blog, but hadn't been by for a visit in a while. I'm going to add some of the books you reviewed to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kah, Great review. I did not know this book I will put it on the ever growing list! Thanks! It was nice that you came by.
    Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    email: steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    twitter: @fangswandsfairy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to check this book out if you have reread it a lot.
    I like how you listed the books alluded to. It's interesting how most authors do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this book, but from your description, it sounds excellent. I'm going to put it on hold at my library. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Susan
    Hope you like it too. Let me know what you think :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...