October 15, 2011

Review : Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Title : Neverwhere
Author : Neil Gaiman
Reading Dates : 14 Aug - 18 Aug 2011
Neverwhere
From goodreads :
When Richard Mayhew stops one day to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London sidewalk, his life is forever altered, for he finds himself propelled into an alternate reality that exists in a subterranean labyrinth of sewer canals and abandoned subway stations. He has fallen through the cracks of reality and has landed somewhere different, somewhere that is Neverwhere.


Book Review of Neverwhere.

Neverwhere was another enjoyable read. Mostly for the quirky sense of humour that pervades the tale. I especially had a good laugh at the wares sold on the Floating Market. This despite the fact that this was not my first time reading the story.

Another reason is the characters that populate London Below. My favorite is the Marquis de Carabas, probably because the man is too hard to read. Shady and yet dependable. After all, even when Door and her father doubts his principles, he’s the one they trust to save them in times of trouble and they never have a shed of doubt that he’ll accomplish what he’s promised.

And let’s not forget the hounds set to pursue the protagonists throughout the tale. Mister Croup and Mister Vandemar are absolute delights. Utterly evil and professional. I really love how much they enjoy their dastardly deeds.

The ending is also a bonus. How our heroes save themselves never fails to amaze me. Brilliant and simple.

Overall, it is Richard and Door’s journey which I love. Whether it was the places they travel to or the people they meet.

My conclusions :

  • Would I re-read the book ? Definitely. I've already done so a few times.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series if there were one? Yes. I'd especially love it if the main characters here made a reappearance.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Yes. In fact, I bought this copy after I'd read a borrowed copy.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Fantasy readers.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Buy it. This book needs to be re-read.

Books alluded to :


Mansfield Park (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)Robinson CrusoeThe Masque of the Red Death
Macbeth: Oxford School ShakespeareThe Wizard of Oz (Puffin Classics)Alice in Wonderland

1 comment:

  1. I am so ridiculous, I own almost all of his books and the only one I've read (which I don't own, oddly enough) is Graveyard Book!

    I've wanted to read this for ages, I need to get with it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...