October 19, 2011

Review : Darke by Angie Sage

Title : Darke
Author : Angie Sage
Reading Dates : 18 Aug - 22 Aug 2011
Septimus Heap, Book Six: Darke
Books in the series:
From Amazon :
In the sixth book of the Magykal series, Alther Mella has been Banished, a Darke Domaine engulfs the Castle, and a Darke dragon is on the loose. Septimus Heap must use all of his skills to save the Castle and the Wizard Tower from destruction: He must enter the Darke. But he cannot do this alone. With the help of Jenna, Alther Mella, Marcellus Pye, and Septimus's estranged brother, Simon Heap, Septimus and Marcia Overstrand battle the spreading Darkenesse. Will Septimus succeed in protecting his Magykal world?

Written with Angie Sage's characteristic humor, Septimus Heap, Book Six: Darke is a compelling fantasy adventure filled with surprises, thrills, and laugh-out-loud moments. Readers will revel in the action-packed story as they realize the wisdom of Magyk—that all things are meant to be part of a living whole.


Book Review of Darke.

As the tale started, Darke didn’t meet the expectations I had based on the earlier books. Thankfully, as the story progressed, things went back to normal.

Darke is as the title suggests a bit darker than the earlier books. Here bad things don’t just happen to the bad guys, but to the good, the innocent and even outsiders. And not everything ends happily ever after. Also, the protagonists of the series are finally growing up and there’s quite a bit of rivalries and jealousies going on. Not as much as you’d find in say the Harry Potter books, but also something I never expected from the Septimus Heap series. What I love about the series is after all that sense of childhood innocence.

However, once I got over the rocky bits and everyone started working together to save their world, the story gets pretty interesting again. What I liked about Darke is that it emphasizes on the importance of balance. And that no one is fully evil or good. Everyone, even Darke wizards are capable of some goodness and deserving of happiness.

Another reason I enjoy the Septimus Heap books are the little extras at the end of each book. Darke is no exception. The little glimpse we gain into the lives of the minor characters are fun, even shedding a little extra light on events which do not impact the story directly.

My conclusions :

  • Would I re-read the book ? Yes, but more because I love the series.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Definitely. I'm already wondering when the next book is coming out.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Probably.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Fantasy readers.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? I'd recommend borrowing the book first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...