April 16, 2011

Review : Bandits by LM Preston

Title : Bandits
Author : LM Preston
Reading Dates : 3 Apr - 5 Apr 2011
Bandits
From Amazon :
Daniel's father has gotten himself killed and left another mess for Daniel to clean up. To save his world from destruction, he must fight off his father's killers while discovering a way to save his world. Time is running out, and Daniel must choose to either walk in his father's footsteps or to reinvent himself into the one to save his world.


Book Review of Bandits.
While my copy of Bandits might have been an uncorrected ARC, it has surprisingly very little errors as compared to The Pack or Explorer X-Alpha. There are still quite a number of mistakes especially in the first half of the tale but much less than in the other 2 books. Still, those few mistakes were very irritating. It disrupts the flow of the language making it that more difficult to get into.

The other reason I dislike this one was the characterisation. All of them just seemed like caricatures and what’s worse, I get the impression they’re all there to make the main character seem cool and tough. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way and it was all I could do not to roll my eyes every few minutes.

The only bright spot was that the story had quite a few twists in it. Certainly I didn’t see what was coming although the identity of murderer was obvious right from the start. The only quibble I had with the plot was the ending. Even now, I’m still not clear on what the main characters gained at the end.

Overall, I think Bandits would have done much better if the author worked on making her characters more believable and slowing down the pacing a bit. No matter how good the story is, if I find the characters fake or utterly annoying, I’m not going to be very interested in reading it again. And the breakneck pacing gives off the impression that the characters were simply running aimlessly around at times.

My conclusions :
  • Would I re-read the book ? No.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series if there were one? No.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? No.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Science fiction adventure readers might give this a try.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Borrow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...