April 30, 2011

Review : Fire by Kristin Cashore

Title : Fire
Author : Kristin Cashore
Reading Dates : 5 Apr - 10 Apr 2011
Fire
The Seven Kingdoms Trilogy
  • Graceling
  • Fire
  • Bitterblue
From goodreads :
Beautiful creatures called monsters live in the Dells. Monsters have the shape of normal animals: mountain lions, dragonflies, horses, fish. But the hair or scales or feathers of monsters are gorgeously colored-- fuchsia, turquoise, sparkly bronze, iridescent green-- and their minds have the power to control the minds of humans.

Seventeen-year-old Fire is the last remaining human-shaped monster in the Dells. Gorgeously monstrous in body and mind but with a human appreciation of right and wrong, she is hated and mistrusted by just about everyone, and this book is her story.


Book Review of Fire.

While Fire was the second book in the trilogy, I made a conscious decision to read it first since it was set before Graceling. Hopefully, this decision doesn’t come back to haunt me later but in any case, it didn’t affect my enjoyment of Fire.

The first thing that struck me about the story is how beautifully it is written. The author has a way with words which just leaves me wanting more. The world of Fire seem so vivid that it’s almost as if I can see it in my mind’s eye as I read it. If for no other reason, this alone makes me want to read more books by Kristin Cashore.

The other reason to enjoy this is Fire herself. I liked that the heroine is uncertain and afraid of her own powers at the start, not only because of what she imagines she could do but with the very real example of what her father and she herself has done in the past. And I like it even more that she learns to face this fear and even accept the necessity of her actions as the story progresses. Again not so much because of what any one person says, but through her experiences. What I loved about Fire though are the contradictions surrounding her feelings for her father and Archer. To know that it is possible to love someone and be beloved by that person and know that the person we love can be unkind or even cruel to others. And that it is not only possible to continue loving them in spite of it all, but that it is okay to do so.

My conclusions :
  • Would I re-read the book ? Definitely.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Yes.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Yes.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Anyone who enjoys fantasy or a good story.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? I'm reserving judgement on this until I read the next book.

Read another review on the book by :

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading your review. This sounds like a well written story. I want to try a bit more fantasy fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Past all of that, I thought it was brilliant. Very worthy of the 5/5 rating I gave it. Even though I was super-busy, I read it in a little over a day. This is one of those books that I am glad I own, because it would be very worthy of a re-read. One last note.In my opinion, you must read Graceling first because Fire will spoil certain elements of the story in Graceling.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...